Friday, September 14, 2007

Emmys Censures Kathy Griffin

RadicalRuss for Pam's House Blend: So at the Emmy Awards the other night, Kathy Griffin won a statue for her show "My Life on the D-List." Many people apparently find her funny.

At the ceremony, she said:
"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no had less to do with this award than Jesus. Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now."

Now the network that will be rebroadcasting the ceremony is going to cut the "offensive" comments from the edited version of the show.

*Sigh* Oh, how the outrage now flows from the Catholic League's Bill Donohue and other annointed keepers of "the faith". How dare someone use slurs to defame so many people's personal choice of self-expression! (Remember how loudly Donohue and other Christian leaders leaped to defend John Edwards when Ann Coulter was calling him "faggot"? Oh, right, they didn't.)

Weren't these the same people who cried "censorship" and derided the capitulation to Muslim fanatics when US newspapers wouldn't reprint Danish cartoons deemed offensive to Muhammad?

... "suck it, Jesus" is this year's Janet Jackson Mocha Mammary of Mass Destruction™ - an event so offensive and threatening to American sensibilities that it must not be seen or heard!

Naturally, I turn to FAUX News for the pulse of the faux moral outrage:

Lauren Green, FOX News Religion Corresponent: So, it puzzled me at first, then angered me second, that she would accept an award and then insult a man who preached love and acceptance. Why would someone do that?

Because she's a comedian doing a joke about how celebrities and sports stars are always thanking Jesus when they win an award. Comedians are known for telling jokes.

More

LSB: I was going to pass on this story because, frankly, the time spent posting this story and drafting these words is about three times more than what the story is worth. But this story keeps coming up on the blogs, so I might as well add my two cents. Yes, I was a little offended by the "suck it" comment, but no more so than what I am regularly offended by the assholes on FAUX News and their near religious idolatry of all things George W. I don't particularly like it when comedians make fun of my religion - or any religion for that matter, - but I am equally repulsed and offended by rap artists who sing about 'fucking the bitch' and then thank the Lord for their Grammy Award. I'm even more embarassed and offended that jackasses like Bill Donohue, Daddy Dodson, Pat Robertson and that nut from Westboro Baptist - all of whom claim to be Christian - spew more hate than what Jesus ever would have tolerated. Do I care that the network that intends to broadcast this event will censure her remarks? For someone who doesn't tolerate censureship very well, I don't seem to care that much. They're cutting down a 4-hour show to 1 hour - something has to go. Besides, with all of the things going on in this world - hurricanes, earthquakes and war - and the needs of millions of people affected by them, why are men and women of faith spending their energy on this story and giving it 'legs'? FOCUS, my friends, and don't allow one comediene's remark to take your eyes away from what is truly important.

No comments: