Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bush ally slams McCain over personal life, infidelity

Steve Benen, The Carpetbagger Report: The Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell, at first blush, would not appear to be the kind of man to publicly bash the hell out of John McCain. He’s the senior pastor at Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston; he’s a close personal friend of the president, and he recently officiated Jenna Bush’s wedding.
But after McCain’s appearance at Sturgis last week, Caldwell was apparently disgusted.
“Well, I don’t know a lot about John McCain’s family history, I do know, however, that as recently as last week I think it was, the Senator made a comment in South Dakota regarding his wife entering some Buffalo Chips contest which is this topless deal and if she were to enter she would probably win it and my personal opinion and based on my understanding of the Christian faith, that’s not, not, N-O-T, not the type of expression that a presidential candidate, or anyone for that matter who is a follower of the Christian faith, ought to make,” said the Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell. “I don’t know if that is a perfect case in point, but it surely does help to juxtapose the DNA of Senator Obama, if you would, versus the DNA of Senator McCain.” […]
Caldwell said that McCain’s Buffalo Chips comment stood in stark contrast with Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., whom Caldwell sees as a good family man supporting pro-family policies.
He wasn’t done. Caldwell went on to blast McCain’s “marital history,” his discomfort with candidates who commit adultery, and his questions about McCain’s “character.”
Asked if he would hesitate to support a candidate who committed adultery, as McCain has, Caldwell added, “Absolutely I would. Because if you can’t keep your faith to your most sacred vow — ’til death do us part’ — how in the world can I trust you to lead my family? My government? My nation?”
McCain spokesman Brian Rogers responded to the criticism by saying that Americans “know that John McCain’s faith and character were tested and forged in ways few can fathom.”
So, McCain having been a prisoner of war during Vietnam resolves any all questions about his character? Seriously?

No comments: