LSB: It's easy to dismiss this as another goofy rant from a TX congressmen, but the longer I listened the more I wondered: are his claims true?; what’s his stake in this?; and where was the main stream media in this debate? Here are some interesting comments left on YouTube with this video:
- stappm: I switched to energy saving light bulbs and the electric portion of my bill went from $26 to $4 a month – and I have not had to replace a bulb in years.
- THEetsybay: My kids have broken these EXTREMELY fragile over-priced stupid bulbs! All we did was sweep it up & throw it in the kitchen garbage. Now we've been exposed to mercury. I DISPISE these stupid things! They give off an annoying hum as well as an eerie glow, which is also damaging. Florescent bulbs have faded the color of pictures & posters hanging in rooms w/them (try the test for yourself!) I can only wonder what those behemoths are doing to our bodies! ONLY MADE IN CHINA?! NOW who's profiting?
- vtcpdx: What he didn't tell you:1) These bulbs take far more energy to produce than the old bulbs and they burn out in only a few years (not ten years like the larger tubes).2) They are 100x more expensive.3) MOST IMPORTANTLY they don't save energy because the ballast needs to store a charge before the light turns on and if you only need light for a few minutes you just wasted FAR more energy than the old bulbs would have used.
- tedevlin: WAKE UP, all of you. YOU are surrounded by mercury laden fluorescent bulbs. They have been in your office buildings for 35 years! No one complains about them, because they are made in the U.S. This Texan is simply protecting his home turf. Oh, and by the way, I don't see much public safety information about the disposal of the old long tube style bulb!
- bol316: LMAO @ a Republican acting alarmed by goods made in China. Since when do the "send your business overseas" Republicans care about that?
- PortiaElizabeth: So is he blaming China for all our problems? All I need to know is if Nancy Pelosi voted for these bulbs, because, if she did, then I know the idea is full of sh**.
- Matafatu: If every home in America replaced just one incandescent light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified CFL, in one year it would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes. That would prevent the release of greenhouse gas emissions equal to that of about 800,000 cars. [LSB: Where’s the citation for this info?]
- GMULEMAN: GE makes its incandescent bulbs in the Philippines, Sylvania in Mexico, NO US JOBS were lost to CFL's. [LSB: Most of our manufacturing jobs were outsourced to other countries years ago.]